silver overlay glass?

bungalow975March 7, 2012

I saw this trinket dish(?) at an auction a number of years ago, and loved it at first sight. It is tiny--just over 3 inches square and an inch high--and very pretty. The glass has an almost velvety feel to it. The color is iridescent rosy amethyst at the top, shading to almost clear on the bottom. It has a polished pontil (with a tiny nick in it) and no maker's mark. I do not know if the overlay is actually silver or something else. Under magnification, there is what appears to be a very tiny "88" stamped on one of the flower petals. I think it resembles some Czech glass, but would like to know more about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
javaandjazz

I have been seeing this stuff lately at shows and watching on ebay and some of it is called Alvin silver overlay but not sure yours is that name.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 5:22PM
antiquesilver

Are you sure that it's stamped 88 & not 84? I know less than nothing about overlay but 84 was a silver purity mark sometimes seen on Russian articles.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 8:39PM
lindac

Not Alvin silver overlay.
How are the flowers put on? Painted? Glazed?
I really have no idea what it is....is the overlay silver.....or just sort of silvery?
Does it tarnish?
Linda C

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 9:36PM
bungalow975

The flowers are definitely some kind of overlay, and are actually attached to the metal rim. It looks like silver, and is lightly tarnished. I will try to get a better look at what appears to be stamped numbers on the metal.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Any Idea what this item could be?
Simply put I have zero idea what this could be, It...
mikerond
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™