removing basement stairs

mlou_51March 12, 2007

We have 2 sets of basement steps..one leading from the garage into the basement and the other in the kitchen. If we remove the little used kitchen stairs and push the wall back we would get some much needed room. I do know it's not a load bearing wall. What would we have to do? Any ideas? Mlou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Do you have another staircase going to the second floor in front of or behind this staircase?
Ron

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 2:03PM
mlou_51

No, the other stairs are located on the other side of the basement and lead into the garage. Actually that staircase is in the garage rather than being in the basement and don't take up any space in the basement. In the 80s someone added onto the house and added the garage stairs. The kitchen stairs however are inside the basement and are original to the house. It's just one story...a small 60s style bungalow type. Mlou

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 3:05PM
ron6519

As long as the ceiling rafters above the staircase are not cut or are spliced above the wall being removed you should be okay. You really need to know that this wall is only a partition wall. Filling the floor area once you remove the staircase is pretty easy. Put joists, the same size as you have in the floor now, every 16". Hang joist hangers on each joist and use the proper nails and nailing pattern called for on the joist hanger. Plywood up to the existing level and you should be ready to get on with the rest of the renovation.
Ron

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 6:39PM
mlou_51

Ron, thanks so much. Mlou

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™