Basement Heating Options

loreleiberksMarch 29, 2008

I have a 1929 house with steam heat in New York. What options do I have for heat in the portions of the basement that are not near the boiler. It gets really cold near the back of the house where the basement is at ground level.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

What is the condition of any windows? If they are single-pane you might first want to replace them or add a storm window. Many times basement windows are sub-standard even in new homes. Doors, especially sliders can also be big sources of heat loss.

Are you wanting to heat the space continually or just have auxulary warmth when using the space? I presume you have your own boiler. Having a radiator incorporated into an existing system would be a solution for continual heat. For occasional heat, there are many electric options. Baseboard, portable heaters or an electric fireplace. You would need to make certain that any electric heat was supported with proper wiring because some draw quite a bit of current.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 8:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badgerboilermn

You may want to consider panel radiators for the basement. They can be served by your existing steam boiler.

Here is a link that might be useful: panel radiators for basement heating

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 7:23AM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Basement Carpet
Hello, I'm looking for help finding the right natural...
oreiad
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™