Basement plumbing for toilet

mugsysmithMarch 16, 2012

I have a question on possible plumbing for a toilet in my basement. Let me first set a picture of my plumbing. If you are looking at 50' sidewall my main sewer pipe comes down from the first floor about the middle of the wall. The pipe goes down to just above the basement floor and goes left for 25' and gradually slopes into floor until it is completely below the floor right at the corner of the basement. Just to the right of the vertical section of the pipe is my washer, dryer, and sink. This is about ten feet of space. I want to put a toilet next to the sink. Is this first even possible? I am thinking I either need a 4" tee where the elbow is at the floor so I can run a 4" pipe for the new toilet along the floor or a 4" wye of some sort. I am thinking a wye is better to angle the vertical pipe to drain towards the left and not straight down. I am also guessing to make up for the flange under the toilet I am going to need to put the toilet on a small platform. Will this work? Am I missing something? Thanks. Also, my basement is only about 6.5' high.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like it will work. Remember you have some pipe under the toilet and the line from the toilet needs to pitch towards the main drain at 1/4" per foot. If we're talking 10' or so from the toilet to the corner where you can connect to the main drain you're going to be a foot or so below the floor level.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 7:15AM
mugsysmith

Thanks for the followup. So let me see if I understand. From where I want the toilet to the first part of the main drain is about ten feet away. That main drain is just on the floor and doesn't go under ground yet. It doesn't go underground until 35' from the toilet which is the corner of my basement. And when I say underground, I mean it is like 3 inches under the floor. I was thinking if I elevate the toilet to cover for the 4 inches of pipe and 2.5 inches of slope, it might work. Hopefully this makes sense.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 8:00AM
mugsysmith

Thanks for the followup. So let me see if I understand. From where I want the toilet to the first part of the main drain is about ten feet away. That main drain is just on the floor and doesn't go under ground yet. It doesn't go underground until 35' from the toilet which is the corner of my basement. And when I say underground, I mean it is like 3 inches under the floor. I was thinking if I elevate the toilet to cover for the 4 inches of pipe and 2.5 inches of slope, it might work. Hopefully this makes sense.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 10:57AM
j969k

Worked around a similar problem. I would consider a wall mounted toilet to give you sufficient clearance - only experienced the one from Grohe. On a quick Google, there are other brands out there. The other option might be an ejector pump / pit, which I would think is an expensive solution.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
gigelus2k13
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Traditional Triple Concealed Thermostatic Shower Faucet 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Laguna 6 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Light Blue
$1,499.00 | LexMod
25-liter European Outdoor Solar Shower
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
"Hendricks" Console
$2,199.00 | Horchow
Traditional Thermostatic Tub-Wall-Mount Faucet and Hand Shower
Signature Hardware