Replacing Window Screens - something to address?

stretchadAugust 5, 2006

I'd like your opinion. We just moved into a new place. I noticed today that all the screens on our windows (6 of them) do not fit. They lean in on the glass letting enough space for bugs to crawl in. Basically they're too short to fit in the casing appropriately. Therefore, I can't open any windows to let in any fresh air (was hoping to do that this fall for nice cool weather and saving on A/C bills). It's very obvious that all of these existing screens are replacements and not what originally came with the windows whenever they were installed (the place was built than 2 years ago) - all the screens are white and our windows are actually tan. It's like the landlord just did a half-a$$ed job. Our neighbors (in a unit just like ours) have original screens...

If you were me, would you request appropriate replacement screens for these windows? Or is that just stupid of me as a tenant? I haven't been a renter in many years so I'm not sure what would be considered something I should have addressed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
camlan

I would ask for new screens, as without them the windows are not functional. Whether or not you'll get them is another thing entirely. But it's worth a shot.

Ask for them all to be replaced. If the landlord baulks at that, could you live with half of the windows having the correct screens? That would give you a bargaining point.

I don't think I have checked out the screens on the windows in 25 years of renting, so I don't think you were stupid. You saw windows and assumed you would be able to open them.

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 11:43AM
nfllifer

Ask your landlord first. You may want to find a place that will build the correct screens so you can pass that along. Many landlords are lazy and not knowing where to get screens made may have them do nothing. In my city proper screens are required for rental premits. Perhaps you could call your building and saftey or other rental enforcer to see if its to code.

I just had 5 screens made and 2 repaired. It was over $160! I live in a town around 100,000 and only could find a ma and pa hardware store to fix and rebuild them!

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 11:08PM
lawman_2007

i RECENTLY MOVED INTO AN APT HERE IN FLA. SEVERAL SCREENS WERE MISSING. I USUALLY RUN A/C OR HEAT ANYWAY. TILL THE A/C QUIT WORKING. MY LANDLORD REFUSES TO MAKE TIMELY REPAIRS...AND OPENING MY WINDOWS ISNT AN OPTION(I LIVE ON A LAKE. I INFORMED HERE THAT FAILURE TO REPAIR THE UNIT PROPERLY AND INSTALL SCREENS WOULD RESULT IN RENT BEING WITHHELD

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Lawn Mowers/Leaf Blowers
I rent the top floor of a two-family home in a nice...
lynwell42
Terrified of my apartment neighbor what can I do?
I am a university student in a small city. I live in...
lexichay
Noisy neighbor - am I being oversensitive?
Live in a townhouse next to people with two small kids...
hblotus95
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
Noise disputes: can managers forbid tenants from conversing?
I'm having random noise problems with a downstairs...
Jck507
Sponsored Products
Koncept Gen 3 Z-Bar Slim Daylight LED Silver Wall Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Red 5MM50RED 25 ft 5C Green Wire 50 LED Christmas Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Framburg Guinevere Nine-Light Island Light
LuxeDecor
Elk Lighting Celina 3-Light Chandelier in Polished Chrome & Fire Red Glass
Beyond Stores
Escutcheons Solid Brass Keyhole Cover Escutcheon 2 3/16 H
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.