50's Glassware

kaelkriverMarch 20, 2008

I'm hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction. When my Mom died I "inherited" different types of glassware that used to come, I believe, in detergent boxes back in the 50's. There are various sizes, shapes and colors. There are 4 to some sets, 6 in others, and so on. Many of the rims have chips, some do not. Here's are my questions, is it worth it to "sand" these glasses so they are useable? Do they or will they have any value? I ask because they do take up a lot of room and it doesn't appear that my daughters have any interest in them. Any and all suggestions and help are welcome. I thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Some do have a small amount of value, some do not. But if they are chipped, or were chipped the value is very much lessened.
If you want to sand them so you have a useables et, that's fine, but they won't bring much when you sell them....if they really are from detergent boxes in the 1950's and not depression glass.
Pictures always help.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 6:23PM
kaelkriver

Thanks for the reply Linda. They are not depression glass and I will see if I can get a picture. Some are quite pretty.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 8:29AM
annie1971

I remember my mom pulling dishes out of the detergent boxes in the 50's. Did your mom collect them from different sources, or were they all from her own soap boxes?

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 6:03PM
kaelkriver

Actually they were her own. I just wish some were in better shape.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 2:56PM
rosie_2006

My sister and I just cleaned out my mom's house. She had tons of those glasses. She also had the complete set of china. We were pretty poor and my mom couldn't wait until dad made the weekly trip to the grocery store and picked up a box of the soap powder. How she prized those glasses. I believe it was Duz laundry deterant that they came in. "Duz" looks funny, but I think that's what it was named. If I remember correctly, the box of soap powder said that the glasses were rimmed in 24K gold. They had a sort of oak leaf design on them and they were frosted. Came in 8 oz and 4 oz. Very pretty but not worth anything. The dishes consisted of dinner and salad plates, coffee cup and saucer. By the time you took the piece out of the box, there wasn't much soap powder left! You could send in separately to the company and buy the gravy boat, platter, etc. (which my mother also had). They are only worth the memories it bought back.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 4:33PM
jaybird

I have a couple of different patterns of glass that I have collected...hope you can share pictures!! We LOVE pictures!

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™