what the heck did i buy? mini goblets/tray pic heavy

mjseeMarch 9, 2010

Ok...got these on ebay. They were advertised as "mini-chalices and tray, possible silver coated pewter, DRAGONS"

I don't think they are pewter...I think they are spelter. They are heavy for their size. The finish IS silver-tone (chrome?) and in bad shape on the "goblets." Style is "Japanesque" and very detailed. Goblets are definitely cast.I'm fairly certain the tray is as well. Feet have been soldered onto the tray. I've not found any maker's marks or anything like that.

Here are the pics (if you click on them they go to full size):

I didn't pay much for them...so I'm not concerned that they don't appear to be pewter. I mostly want to know what their original purpose was, their age, and their country of origin. I don't think they were for saki...I've never seen a saki set made from metal...or with six cups. Or goblet shaped!

Hope someone out there knows what they are! (Or can point me in the right direction...)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

It's a communion set for a coven of six celebrating the Black Mass. LOL
JK.
Casey

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 7:38PM
mjsee

I was looking at them again...and I'm wondering if they might be a salesman's sample?

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 7:56PM
lindac

For tasting dragon's blood!
Seriously....sort of. I think it's a "cordial set"...and looks to me like it's been sprayed silver....try a little nail polish remover and see if it removes the silver "paint"....and may be pewter....there are lots of sorts of pewter....some contain lots of lead, some none at all, some lots of tin, some antimony....so it could be something like that.
It's...."interesting".... LOL!

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™