Basement foundation redo

t-birdMarch 30, 2007

Hi All,

Just visiting here for the first time and had to join up! This forum is great - so much info!

I had a question. I have a large frame, 1913 house and was wanting to finish the basement. After a previous thread will not call owens corning!

The concrete slab is cracked on one side, definitely need the concrete redone. Alot of the floors in the upper levels are not plum, so I wanted to have the foundation and house leveled before finishing the basement. I also wondered if when I did this, if I could get them to dig down an extra foot or two to make the basement deeper (higher ceilings.)

This site:

http://www.olshanfoundation.com/foundation_pgs/why_fndn.html

sounded interesting, but the nearest one to me is over 300 miles away! I'm in chicago. Any recommendations on where to go/how to start? Costs?

Any comments appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

I doubt your home has a true slab foundation; it is likely a spread footing foundation with a non-structural floor.

In general, a basement floor can be lowered by underpinning wall sections two to four feet long at a time. Sagging of floors on upper levels is likely normal settlement or inadequate structure.

Both these issues are best left to a structural engineer. He who can advise you and create the plans for a contractor to follow to implement the changes you want in a safe manner. As a licenced builder, that's the way I've done it.

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 11:34PM
thedalts

t-bird

Did you get an estimate to have your foundation redone? If so, what was their quote. We definitely have problems in our basement.

Also, what were the threads about owens-corning?

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 9:03PM
t-bird

Haven't gotten to the estimate phase as yet....distracted by other projects.

There were a few thread on here about Owns Corning being very expensive and with deceptive sales tactics.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 2:34PM
daniel_md

I live in MD and am looking to lower my basement floor by a couple feet to provide enough headroom to finish it. I just got a quote for $35,000, which included underpinning the entire foundation and putting in a perimeter drainage system.

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 11:24AM
worthy

a perimeter drainage system

Good point. Once you lower the wall, any exterior drainage system is now several feet above the bottom of the walls as is the drainage line it's going into.

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Basement Carpet
Hello, I'm looking for help finding the right natural...
oreiad
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™