concerned tenant

jbmoran87August 4, 2012

my landlord came up to me before the begging of the month and told me that she needed me to get my stuff out cause she had the place rented without giving me and eviction notice and i'm on a one year lease...is she legally able to do this

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
camlan

Most likely not.

Google "landlord tenant laws yourstate" to find out exactly what protections you have in place in your state. They change from state to state, so it's impossible to know what they are.

Get out your lease. There will be useful information in the lease as well. In most states, if the lease and the state laws are different, the state law is what counts. Even if you signed a lease that says the exact opposite.

Now, why does the landlord want you out of the building? Is there a problem, like you owe back rent or have damaged the building in some way? Could the landlord have served you with eviction papers, but you didn't get them?

Most landlords do not rent the apartments of tenants who are in good standing and up to date on their rent. Why did the landlord do this to you?

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 3:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonshadow

My first reaction is that it seems as if you were expecting an eviction notice in order to terminate your lease. Is that correct? Or are you thinking in a one year lease eviction is the only way to terminate it? If you could clarify that (where you're coming from) it would help.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 5:40AM
More Discussions
Finding apartment in Cary NC?
Hi, I am a single mom of two moving into Cary NC area...
aaaaaaaa
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
Bathroom decorating ideas
Hi! I just moved in to an older style apartment building,...
Apart-ster
Quiet Hours???? HELP!
What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours? This...
MaryCR
Temporary Housing
The post tell us fine information about the housing....
dayamrae138
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™