Help! Is this basement 'fix' correct?

vamom3March 22, 2008

Hi,

I had recently posted on this site about our basement problems.

The company that installed them came out at the end of the week to repair what we felt were probably clogged french drains. We had water on the floor in several spots after every big rain. Also, in the last year the creeping mildew and musty smell had greatly increased.

So, they begin opening the floor and soon figure out that the 2 hours they had been allotted was not enough. The guys figure out the french drain is clogged with mud over about a 40 foot section and they aren't done yet!

When they realized the scope of the problem they called the franchise owner who tried to then tell me it was not under warranty. We came to an agreement about this job and I will pay a small amount to have it completed.

The source of the mud was coming from a corner cinder block at the floor level. The blocks before it and after have small drainage holes. This block has a hole big enough for a crow bar to fit through. The site supervisor said that it could have been damaged when the original job was undertaken as they were chipping away at the cement to get to the footer and lowest blocks.

To fix the mud leak they would like to fill the damaged block with fast drying cement and seal it. They will then drill drainage holes in a block above it. They will replace all the french drains with new material and we are paying for them to raise the plastic sheeting that covers the lower part of the wall to the 5 ft mark.

Does this sound correct???? Please help- they are coming back next week! Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

This is not my specialty, but I'd have any/all holes plugged up, since there are probably multiple sources of muddy water. As for the drain, hopefully it will be a perforated drain pipe wrapped in a filter sleeve, which is set in a bed of pea gravel (then covered). Also, outside you should ensure that you have it graded away from the house (level is not good enough), and make sure all the downspouts are extended a couple feet away from the foundation. Keep the gutters clean, too.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 10:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

raise the plastic sheeting that covers the lower part of the wall to the 5 ft mark.

I assume this is dimpled plastic, such as Delta brand. This should be placed to slightly above grade. Rather than moving an existing length--and thus leaving holes in your blocks from the previous fasteners--they should just run another sheet on top if necessary.

The rest sounds rather confused. "Opening the floor" Where are these drains? And what are they? "French" drains of gravel at the surface. Or plastic weepers at the footings on the exterior of the foundation? Pics would help.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
New Home Build - window size for drywall?
Apologies if this has been asked before - can't seem...
lookintomyeyes83
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Sponsored Products
GE Under Cabinet Lighting White LED Plastic Square Tap Light 17419
$9.09 | Home Depot
TL554 150W Remote Magnetic Transformer
Lightology
Grenoble Indoor/Outdoor Wall Sconce by Kichler
$129.80 | Lumens
Trans Globe 3640 WH Flushmount - White - 10W in. - 3640 WH
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Southport Bath Bar by Hudson Valley Lighting
$256.00 | Lumens