Depression Glass

garlicjimMarch 17, 2012

How do you identify such?

Thanks a bunch.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Wow!!!! That's a little like saying how do you know a plate when you see it.
Best get thee to a web site where you can familiarize your self with the types of depression glass.....then to a couple of shops where you can perhaps find someone who will point out the differences between a repro and the real thing. But you won't find a repro in anything but the big expensive items like a covered cookie jar.

There is the pale colored glass available in sets....with glasses plates cups and serving pieces. Then there is the kitchen stuff like Fire King and some uranium glass even, and the deep solid colors like ruby red and cobalt blue and the opalescent hobnail stuff....and the elegant depressinn glass stuff....
Just wade in and learn....

Here is a link that might be useful: depression glass

    Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 1:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Okm Then Linda, here's an easy one:

How long is a piece of string (smile).

Actually, I should have asked if there were any markings of any kind on them, We have two bowls that look like depression glass, but aren't sure. They don't have any identification marks on'em.

One is sort of clear gold. It looks like depression era glass on the outside, but the inside is slick as "glass".

Same thing on the other one, except it changes colors as you move it.

They are probably just serving bowls.

Domo Arigato.


    Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 2:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Konichiwa....which is about all the Japanese I can think of.

That stuff that was made in dinner sets and given away in theaters etc, and was pale gold, pale blue, pale pink and pale amber as well as clear was cheaply made and the pattern wouldn't show on the inside.
Not much depression stuff was marked but for the "good stuff" like Hiesey and some Northwood and of course Fire King and some Anchor Hocking pieces.
There was also a lot of "iridescent glass" not the good ole carnival glass, but just slightly iridescent that was sold in the 1960's in places like Woolworth's.
Pictures area good thing!

    Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 3:08PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™