Popular subfloor question raised again...

the-tech-guyMarch 12, 2013

I am looking into doing my basement floor with DRIcore or Barricade. DRIcore says in the AGT - Air gap technology on their panels where moisture and air can be breath, they have a 1/4 inch gap at the bottom to prevent it. Barricade has styrofoam and they say it traps the moisture on the concrete. Any suggestions on which one is better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

The 1/2" of extruded polystyrene (XPS) on the bottom of the Barricade panels is vapour semi-permeable, allowing vapour to move through slowly. As well, the channels provide a drainage route and reservoir for excess bulk water. The nominal 1/2" of XPS on the Barricade provides minimal insulation value.

Dri-Core (and similar products) use an impermeable plastic bubble material on the bottom which provides a way for excess water to drain away.

Though I have finished many basements, I haven't used either modular system. I prefer the Building Science Corp. (BSC) recommendation of XPS panels topped by plywood.

My concern relates to the OSB on top of both systems.
Compared to plywood, OSB retains moisture longer and is hence more likely to support mould growth. Furthermore, the greater number of joints in the surface of both systems, vs. using 2'x4' or 4'x8' layers of XPS, seems to provide more possibilities of moisture reaching the OSB than the plywood in the BSC approach.

In any case, neither system nor the Building Science Corp approach are cures for problem basements with active bulk water leakage.

This post was edited by worthy on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 15:10

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 2:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poobaloo

Deleted - wrong forum sorry!

This post was edited by squishyball on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 14:43

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™