How to Create a Loft/Industrial Look for Basement on a Budget

baseballmom94March 7, 2007

We would like to create an industrial style look in our unfinished basement. We want a game room where the kids can have fun without worry about denting drywall, etc. We already have a tv/pool room on the main level of the house so this would strictly be a teen room for ping-pong/foosball, video games etc.

1) We want to paint the exposed ceiling joists/wires etc. but we're not sure whether to use black or white paint. The ceiling is only about 8 feet and a little lower in one corner. The black would make the ceiling disappear but would it make the space to dark?

2) We want to paint the poured concrete walls but currently there is insulation on them. Should we remove the insulation and seal and paint the concrete or is it a mistake to remove the insulation?

3) What color walls would look best -- we want something fun but not too crazy!

4) Any ideas are welcome!!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgiapoollover

I would paint the ceiling exposed stuff steel gray, or silver. Then I would also paint the walls a grayish blue color or maybe even red for a classy pop. I think it would look great.
My basement has ceiling tiles, but they are treea cotta ornage and the walls are green. Its a unique combination.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 2:10PM
clg7067

My basement is insulated and carpeted and I still run a heater down there to keep it comfortable. Are you sure you don't want insulation and drywall. I don't recall any of us kids denting drywall when we were young. I lived in a couple of lofts and they both had carpet and drywall.

Otherwise, I like the black ceiling idea.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 4:55PM
Roeland

Try everything in a high gloss finish. Maybe all white - I've never met a basement that was too bright - and then accent everything else with grey, chrome or primary colors!

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™