Can I moan a little?

javaandjazzMarch 5, 2012

I was in antique center in Sturbridge, Mass this past saturday and spotted a piece of Weller pottery and started flaming out over it. I asked to see it and thought I had checked it out carefully for crack, chips, repairs, etc. It had some crazing but that's expected. So, it looked ok and the price was right so I bought it. Sunday morning got up and started to clean it and as I was drying it I noticed it had a huge repair in the top rim. I guess I had missed it. The only thing I can blame is the light in the antique center and my flaming out over it. I was disappointed and it kinda bothers me and makes me feel inexperienced. I thought I was able to see repairs but somehow missed this one. Does this happen to anyone else too? I just hate when that happens. Thanks for listening!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Not recently....;-Q

Years ago, there was this "elderly woman".....likely 5 years younger than I am now.....who was a fabulous dealer. She was so knowlegable and had the most WONDERFUL things! EAPG was her thing and it's where I got my yen for the stuff and my desire to seek out and buy all of the Kamm Pitcher books.
One day a friend and I were browsing and she showed us something....an Iowa City Glass Frosted Stork platter....that was obviously a repro. She said a picker had stopped with some stuff and all she saw was the price and bought it. She said "let that be a lesson to me".
It happens.....don't beat yourself up, but remember to check closely for repairs! Turn that side to the back and put a plant in it.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 10:47AM
antiquesilver

Don't feel bad - you're not alone - it's happened to all of us (except Linda, LOL)! We see a treasure that others haven't recognized judging by the price & BAM..... we're overcome with desire (& more than a little greed) & we snap it up. Only to find out there's a problem or it wasn't what we thought it was.

That's why we have yard sales!

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 12:58PM
lindac

And....it's really easy to do on eBay....ask me about the teeeny tiiiiny brass candlesticks!
The seller said they were miniature, and really heavy for their size. Solid brass and the picture looked wonderful.
I collect miniature brass candle sticks....you know the ones that are 3 to 4 inches tall?
Well this pair was 3/4 inch tall.....

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™