Dirt Basement

wyattjMarch 10, 2014

Hi Everyone

My house was built in the 20's and has a granite slab foundations(huge granite rocks). The house was rehabbed before purchasing it and the foundation was pointed with cement and actually hold water very well. We have been there for 3+ years now and experienced more rain and snow then I have seen in 10 years. The walls of the basement are constantly moist but I never I get much standing water at all. if anything it is on the side near bulkhead and it is absorbed in hours or a day. I am very happy with the condition of basement given its age and having no sump. What WE HATE is that fact that is dirt and going down there stinks because of that. I do not want to pay for a concrete slab because I have no intentions of finishing space. I want to cover half the basement with 3 inches or so of gravel. I heard from many contractors websites that putting down vapor barrier when you are not cementing is a waste. The water will get above it and mold will attached to plastic. And the rocks will at some point puncture the plastic. I want some feedback on if it is bad to just put rock 3/4 inch or smaller over dirt in a NEw England basement. Will it cresate mold, does mold even stick to rock? I just want to be able to walk with on it without getting dirt on shoes and make it a tad better for storage. I appreciate your help and sorry for long message ; )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

I'd be more comfortable walking on gravel than damp soil in my basement. But even the 20 mil ground covers are not meant to support foot traffic.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 10:31AM
lazy_gardens

"The walls of the basement are constantly moist but I never I get much standing water at all. if anything it is on the side near bulkhead and it is absorbed in hours or a day. I am very happy with the condition of basement given its age and having no sump.:

It would be worth it to dig a sump close to where the water wants to end up and install a pump. The high humidity in the basement is slowly affecting the rest of the house.

For better walking down there, consider using "duck boards" made of a plastic-based material such as Trex

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 10:50AM
starraffy

You said, the walls of the basement is always moist. For high humidity problem, try using a dehumidifier to regulate the humidity level of your basement it will make a difference, its tested ..

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™