Recommendation for Basement Flooring

michelevMarch 18, 2010

For the first time in 14 years, we had water in our basement due to a horrific rainstorm in NJ. The basement had been carpeted (with padding), and as a result, we had to rip everything up and throw it out. Now we need to replace the floor covering, and don't know what to do. Even though the amount of rain this past weekend was extraordinary, of course there's always the chance that it will happen again. The finished area of the basement is primarily used as a den for my teenage daughter and her friends. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
athensmomof3

I think stained concrete or tile are the best solutions for the reasons you mention. Even a historically dry basement can get wet! If you don't like the look of tile, there is a great looking (installed) hardwood-looking tile by Daltile (timber glen). It is rectified porcelain so it can be installed with a skinny grout line (like hardwoods). My parents used it in Dune (a pickled look) in their beach house, and the installer installed it in a random pattern like hardwood with toothpicks as spacers. It looks great and is absolutely indestructible! They have had water issues in the past (they are on the ocean) and although they think they are solved, who knows??!!!

It also comes in an espresso color which is good looking and you could use a dark grout which would simplify cleaning. Because it looks like wood, you can use rugs on it without it looking strange (like sometimes happens when rugs are put over tile).

Not sure if you are interested in this, but we are planning on using it in most of our basement (except the guest bedroom and bathrooms).

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
gigelus2k13
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™