downstairs neighbour

swatson46n2July 18, 2006

hello:

me and my roomate just moved into a new building and are having problems with our downstairs neighbour, he will yell at us if we are outside on our balcony after 10 pm, last night he did it again, we were just having a smoke and talking about our day on the balcony and he yells up "I told you already to close your windows, i'm trying to F*****g sleep!!" this was just a norml conversation between 2 people sitting right next to each other, what makes it even worse is that he told us he is the weekend super (not sure if this is true) any advice on how to del with this guy? I'm not going to tip toe around my aprtment to keep this guy happy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

it's summer; people like to sleep with their windows open. If your balcony is anywhere near his bedroom window, you need to move your conversations indoors after 10pm.

It may seem like a normal conversation to you, but it may be particularly disturbing to him--and it IS after 10pm, and it's an apartment, not a house.

And, is it a NORMAL conversation, or a HUSHED conversation? Normal is out of line, in my opinion, if your balcony is near his bedroom--which is must be. Hushed might be OK, but normal is not.

I know that in my own case, noise AS I'm trying to go to sleep is really hard. AFTER I'm asleep, I may sleep through all sorts of stuff. So a quiet conversation at 11:30, I won't hear. But at 10, it might disturb me a lot.

You might also speak w/ the actual landlord or building manager, to get a clarification from the authoritative source (and to discreetly sound out how much they value him; they may be more likely to side w/ him in a genuine, i.e. no unreasonable, dispute).

I'm sorry to say, I don't think his request is out of line. Before 10, yes. After 10, no. I think you should move your conversation indoors after 10.

At the VERY least, you should keep your voices way down after 10.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 8:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcjohnsson

I agree with Taley. But I'll take it a step further and say conversations of ANY sound level should be kept indoors after 10 p.m. I live in a condo and never let my friends go on the lanai after 10 p.m. We have neighbors up, down, and on both sides. You have to respect their quiet.

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Need help with a doorway partition
I just moved into a studio apartment and I'm looking...
sfliving
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Noise disputes: can managers forbid tenants from conversing?
I'm having random noise problems with a downstairs...
Jck507
Apartment Owners from H**L
We live in the east in a gated apartment complex owned...
pink_warm_mama_1
Lawn Mowers/Leaf Blowers
I rent the top floor of a two-family home in a nice...
lynwell42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™