Basement renovation

buagirlMarch 1, 2007

Any ideas on a basement renovation for a 1947 colonial. Piping is pretty low, big old furnace and laundry area are down there. Area is very dry. Walls are cinderblock, floors concrete. All painted currently with gray sealant.

I was thinking a family room or game room for the kids. Limited budget.

Thanks

Buagirl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgiapoollover

I would put in a drop ceiling, drywall a room out for the kids, and cover the drywall with a pretty light paneling. That way you dont have to finish the drywall...or you could use a ceiling paint and get it colored to your choice and make the walls textured with a putty knife. We used the paneling in our billiard room and textured the walls in our bar. We even covered the theater walls with a cotton batting and then used curatins to hide the drywall. We spent about 8,000 on our basement including the tvs, pool table, pinball machine, and carpet. Not bad, huh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Our basement

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 9:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Forget the attic! Here's where you can get extra living space cheap.

Even if it's out of your budget for the moment, leave space for a future bath. You've got a laundry there, so there's supply and drain and you can always add a breather outside if you have to. ("Cottage" vents aren't usually allowed.)

Instead of doing a drop ceiling, and reducing your headroom even further, you could go for the "industrial" or "loft" look with exposed services and the ceiling sprayed a flat black.

And, whatever you do, don't insulate with fiberglass and a tight polyetheylene vapour barrier.

Bookmark   March 2, 2007 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™