1931 clay tile basement waterproofing

nursecynthiaMarch 7, 2013

My husband and I just has a home inspection on a house that we are in the process of buying. 2 of the 4 walls of the basement appear to have significant mold and water damage, although its somewhat hard to see because a previous owner glued cheap paneling to the walls. The paneling is bulging and looks to have obvious water damage, but carpeting looks fine. But at the time of inspection everything was bone dry. This house has been neglected for the last 30 years so we don't know when or how often this water problem occurs. What options are there for basement water proofing for a house of this age with clay tiles. I'm afraid to know how much its going to cost but it needs to be done.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

See this previous thread for various waterproofing methods.

How much you do relates to the specifics of your site--water table, soil, rainfall amounts and what use you plan to make of the basement.

Before you tackle anything to do with the foundation, look to appropriate grading, fully functioning eaves and downspouts.

You can be sure the clay weepers are inoperative due to settling and root penetration . When I demolish homes built in the 1940s-1950s, that's what I always find.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
gigelus2k13
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™