Wood floor in basement an option?

jvanMarch 5, 2007

How hard is it to put in wooden floors in the basement? I understand it can be complicated due to the concrete floor which is usually uneven. Any other suggestions for a good flooring? This will be for a billiard room. The rest of the basement has pile carpet and we thought something different(non-carpet) would be nice in the billiard room.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Personally, I would not put wood on a basement floor. There a people who do, I know. I believe the potential for a sump pump failure or water heater leak is too great.

How about ceramic tile under the pool table.

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 6:27AM
georgiapoollover

Well.....we have snap lock wood flooring in our bar in our basement. We put down some kind of plastic underneath before the floor went down. Ours has been fine for a year now. Its a floating floor. In a billiard room, tile is a good choice. We personally have berber carpet.

Here is a link that might be useful: basement

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 8:16AM
dgmarie

We toured a home with a wood floor in the basement. It was a walkout. It looked lovely. I remember my husband saying if we bought the house he wanted a separate insurance policy on just the floor! If it rained, flooded or otherwise came up, what an expense!

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 9:00PM
worthy

It's recommended to use only engineered wood or laminate for basements over Dricore or similar products.

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 10:41PM
ravlegend

I have considered wood floor in my basement (over dricore). However, I had ruled it out due to high possibility of scratching the wood surfaces due to moving my billiard table /ping pong table around even after setting them up.

Wall to wall carpeting and ceramic tile in the wet area are my preference now.

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 3:51PM
ron6519

Solid wood prefinished floors are not recommended in a basement by any manufacturer I know of. I would research the options by looking at the manufacturers recommendations. Personally, I have ceramic tile with an area rug.
Washers, plumbing issues,etc.. all the water has no place to go.
Ron

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 7:06PM
nancyinmich

I believe I have heard of ceramic/porcelain tile that is made to look like hardwood flooring.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 5:42PM
chalifax

There are also some darn fine looking vinyl(!) floors that look a lot like wood. They come as peel-and-stick planks instead of tiles. I've seen photos of this type of product in the home of a poster on the home decorating board. I was shocked that it was vinyl. If your floor had small bumps, you'd have to level it, but it would be a great option for any water damage possibilities. I also saw Candice Olson on HGTV's Divine Design use this type of floor in a basement.

Carol

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
New Home Build - window size for drywall?
Apologies if this has been asked before - can't seem...
lookintomyeyes83
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™