Motorcycle HELL

shes_awakeJuly 3, 2006

Call me naive...I'm new to apartment living (recently divorced) and I am in Harley hell. I moved into this apt with my sons last fall. Since the weather has gotten warm, my corner unit is at an intersection where motorcycles without mufflers and car stereos with massive bass sit and literally vibrate my windows, my desk and even my bathtub when I'm TRYING to unwind.

I'm miserable. We can't open any of the windows because the noise is that bad. This means leaving the air conditioner constantly running. My lease expires at the end of September but this is literally driving me nuts. I have to get up for work at 5:30am so I'm in bed by 10pm...sometimes the engines are so loud they make me jump.

Do I have ANY leverage in getting out of here? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dreamgarden

This would drive me nuts too, especially if I weren't able to sleep.

I wouldn't wait until September. Get witnesses to verify that the noise is unacceptable and start looking around for a quieter place now so that you have something much better lined up ahead of time.

Call the tenants association for your city and let them listen over the phone to the noise. Tape record it if you have to. See what they suggest.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 2:38PM
nfllifer

I think you are stuck. Unfortunatly this is something that is out of the Landlords hands. Perhaps he will let you move early but I can't see any other leagal way out.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 5:55PM
talley_sue_nyc

what about the cops? In NYC, this would qualify as noise pollution, and I might be able to speak to my precinct's community affairs officer to start a campaign of the cops going by the chasing them off.

But September isn't really all that far away, for that sort of effort. I'd be spending my energy to look for a new place.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 6:33PM
donslilz

call the cops if its after 10 pm, otherwise, what can the landlord do? its public space and sadly, only loud A**holes make use of it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 2:55AM
More Discussions
Share your condo townhouse noise experiences...
I would like to know from those of you who have lived...
Mia_
Noise disputes: can managers forbid tenants from conversing?
I'm having random noise problems with a downstairs...
Jck507
Quiet Hours???? HELP!
What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours? This...
MaryCR
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Garage apartment floor plan review
We are building a house at the beach (Seagrove Beach,...
cobbyw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™