How to soundproof a floor when ripping up carpet?

danilynn72June 25, 2007

Hi there,

Quick question-my upstairs neighbor is doing her carpet over. We've discussed the noise (footsetps) and now creaking (loose boards) before. She will have her carpet people look at the loose boards but say she couldn't put down additional padding to the one coming with the new carpet because it would "void her warranty"? Just wondering if anyone has heard of this?

Also, can I suggest using something else for soundproofing if more padding is not allowed? Maybe mass loaded vinyl? Would something else like this still "void the warranty"? I'm also worried that the dinky padding that comes with new carpet won't be enough soundproofing for my stompers. Any input from soundproofers or inspectors would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redpenny

When buying carpet and padding with padding there is good better and best???????? Sorry I never heard that before especially since carpet people they are installing it and she isn't doing it herself so the warranty should be covered?
Perhaps call and ask a carpet company about padding.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 11:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bud_wi

Yes I have heard of this. Thicker padding will void the warranty as the carpet will wear faster and require stretching over time. What you want to look at is the density of the padding not the thickness. It is never recommended to go over a half inch for padding in any application. Different carpets require different padding to 'work' together. The manufacturer will give you the lowdown.

Check this out here:

http://www.carpet-rug.org/residential-customers/selecting-the-right-carpet-or-rug/selecting-the-right-cushion.cfm

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 4:12AM
More Discussions
Quiet Hours???? HELP!
What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours? This...
MaryCR
Feeling Harassed by Downstairs Neighbors
My boyfriend and I moved into an older apartment complex...
storybrook
Moth problem..Help please.....
Allright I have had a moth problem for about 5 maybe...
lucidmike
Temporary Housing
The post tell us fine information about the housing....
dayamrae138
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™