Finished basement windows

patsfanFebruary 13, 2008

I have finished my basement using the framing/insulation recommendations of Building Sciences (foam on walls, framing, unfaced insulation).

I am trying to figure out how to best finish the exposed concrete surrounding the window. The window sits back from the edge of the concrete, of course, creating a "sill" on the bottom and exposed concrete to the left, right, and top of the window.

It doesn't seem like I should just trim out the concrete with wood. It seems like I should do something to the concrete, like paint it with DryLoc(sp?) or add a vapor barrier or a thin layer of foam or something.

What do people usually do to trim out the concrete on basement windows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brewbeer

If the windows are small, I would trim out with wood up to the concrete edge where the window cut-out meets the vertical interior concrete surface, which will maximize the light through the small windows.

If you have large windows, use some foam board under the trim.

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 9:26AM
slednfool

I installed glass blocks in my windows, so I had only the width on the joints around the glass to work with. I just plastered over the concrete block and painted it the same as the surrounding sheetrock.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 10:58PM
worthy

I've been finishing off basement windows with wooden jambs and casings for 20 plus years with no problems. If you can, you might fill in the space bewtween the jambs and concrete with low or no expansion foam to ensure a tight air block.

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™