Sound insulation for ceiling in the basement

schadaFebruary 7, 2007

I am planning to finish my basement. Half of the basement is under Wooden floors. To avoid the noice from wooden floors from the 1st floor, I am planning to insulate the ceiling. BTW, I am using Sheetrock/Drywall for the ceiling. Is there any special insulation for sound barrier? Or should I use thick thermal insulation?

Thanks for advise.

- Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jejvtr

sam
congrats on your project -
we just finished 1/2 of our basement - I did research on soundproofing - and found a host of information -

I ended up applying Roxul (brand name) which is a mineral wool used for firestopping & soundproofing btwn the joists - it now comes in batts similiar to the pink stuff

Next applied MLV (mass loaded vinyl) 1/8" thick HEAVY stuff and difficult to work with overhead (see pic) THEN used grid system & Acoustical tiles - Not an easy application

Depends what you are isolating - ?Foot fall on wood floors above - that is probably the most difficult - I still hear foot fall

We did it now for kiddies - isolate the noise - later perhaps a real home theatre

layers of sheetrock - of varying thickness is another proven soundproofer - homosote (basically what these ceiling tiles are) is another -

Try over on the remodeling forum - you'll find threads there and also on home theatre type acoustical forums

It does get confusing & adds $$$ up - any conduit for sound must be properly treated or you will continue w/same prob.

I put a wood exterior door from finish/utility side of basement w/a sweep on the bottom
walls btwn the 2 sides may need to have some application as well

good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: audioholics

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
Basement Carpet
Hello, I'm looking for help finding the right natural...
oreiad
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™