basement floor

toppercrustFebruary 19, 2012

we are planning to finish our basement we have a million questions but lets start with the floor.First of all we live in a 1920s decrepit bungalow.The basement concrete floor was poured over an existing floor,big cracks everywhere.There was a bathroom but we demolished and are increasing size.I'd like to tile the new bathroom's floor.We will be removing some concrete to move plumbing.I think we should remove all concrete in proposed bathroom so as to make it solid for tile installation.I would like electric in-floor heating.When we pour the new floor how should i reinforce,and should i make it recessed from rest of basememnt floor so as to leave room for in-floor heating and self leveler?.should the electric mat be layed in selfleveler or can it be laid in concrete? should i use tile-crete instead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

I am by no means a tile expert. I would do the good concrete floor as you outlined, with vapor barrier under it. Then Ditra membrane, then the heating mat, then the tile, each layer with thinset.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 11:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toppercrust

so how far down from existing concrete floor should new concrete floor be to compensate for everything?

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™