breaking lease?

sxdvJune 21, 2010

ok so i need to break my lease in my apartment, i read my lease and it says in it the lease can be terminated before its expiry by payment of the equivalent of 2 months rent and the payment has to be given in cash or cert. cheque at the time of giving notice.

but i have no idea what that means, i am on a fixed income and can give notice at the 1st of the month and use my last months rent as the 2nd months rent, but how much notice do i need to give if i give 60 days notice wouldn't that just mean i'm paying for the last 2 months i am there in advance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
camlan

You need to check with the landlord or a lawyer to be sure, but to me that clause says that you need to pay the amount of 2 extra months of rent, over and above the rent you owe for the time you live in the apartment. The 2 months rent is a sort of penalty you have to pay to break the lease.

If you have several months left on the lease, that's actually a pretty good deal. Many places will not let you out of a lease at all, and you are responsible for paying rent for the entire year, unless your landlord can find a new tenant.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 11:05PM
apollon17_verizon_net

can i use the fact that i was paying in cash to break my lease

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 9:44PM
moonshadow

@ anthony: no

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
fyi-spammer attack on gardenweb-don't click!
The spammers are out in full force today. Do not click...
dreamgarden
Temporary Housing
The post tell us fine information about the housing....
dayamrae138
What is it with crazy people and parking spaces?
I live in an apartment otherwise known as the 'beehive'...
MassMitten
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Appliance Size for garage apartment
building an apartment over a garage. apt size is 500...
cobbyw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™