Insulation of Basement Ceilings

bonecarverFebruary 14, 2010

We just purchased our home, a ranch, we started doing some remodeling which told us the over all insulation of the home was lacking We wrapped the entire house in 1.5" foam board ( pink stuff) before putting up the siding.

We are now starting in the basement which is unheated, trying to do it correctly. 2" xps on the walls and in the rim, 1" on the floor all joints taped, as well as spray foam in the rim areas to help fill any voids.

My question now is the ceiling of the basement. Plans are to drywall it, but what about insulation? should it be faced or un-faced? does it matter as far moisture would be concerned?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Insulation for what purpose? Sound transfer?

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 12:18AM
bonecarver

Worthy, I guess that is the main question. I have no need to protect from sound transfer (it's just myself and my wife). Would there be a benefit to insulation or should I just drywall and be done?

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 6:54AM
worthy

You're drywalling the ceiling. And you're required to cover the XPS on the walls with a fire resistant covering--probably drywall, as that is the cheapest coating. So it is essentially conditioned space--probably warm just from the furnace and heat ducts likely there. Add some heat vents and don't insulate the ceiling.

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 12:10PM
bonecarver

Thanks Worthy ! Not sure how often you have been or you are told but your input here has taught me a lot, and sent me out to search and learn more.

Many Thanks for your time and help.
Curt

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 8:35PM
soto

Hi, Would you mind telling me the brands/manufacturers you used for the 1) xps board and 2) the spray foam?
ALSO, I have to insulate one ceiling in my basement since that room sits below an outside screened-in porch (that has a roof). So it's unconditioned above. I have no idea how to insulate that ceiling.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 8:58PM
bonecarver

The XPS I believe was made by DOW but it is all covered now and I just plain do not remember for sure. The spray foam is fire retardant spray foam in cans, I think it was made by the same company that makes the great foam. They sell all this at the big box stores. Not sure what to tell you about insulating the ceiling, I am still learning myself and hesitate to give advice to others.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 9:39PM
worthy

worthy said: Add some heat vents

I should have also included the often overlooked part of an HVAC system-- "low-level air returns."

I have no idea how to insulate that ceiling.

At least two inches of extruded polystyrene (XPS). Consider "polyiso" board if headroom is critical as it has a higher R Value per inch.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 9:58AM
mike_kaiser_gw

If not for sound transmission, why do you want to insulate your basement ceiling?

I would also suggest that drywall on a basement ceiling is a bad idea. Sooner or later you will need access to mechanicals or want to run a new electrical circuit, television or network cable. I've seen any number of drywalled basement ceiling that needed to be ripped apart to find a water leak. At the very least, use some kind of suspended ceiling below existing mechanicals.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 11:32AM
worthy

why do you want to insulate your basement ceiling?

I should have been clear that I was answering soto who said:

I have to insulate one ceiling in my basement since that room sits below an outside screened-in porch (that has a roof). So it's unconditioned above

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 11:40AM
willicooper1

Hey!!
I know very well,What type of insulation goes into a basement is directly related to how the basement is used. If your basement is remaining unfinished and/or unheated, then insulation in the ceiling is sufficient.
For added insulation, be sure to seal around wire and plumbing holes with expanding spray foam or caulk before installing the blanket insulation.
If you have confusion ,you can consult best contractor too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Finishing Contractor

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 1:48AM
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™