Radon sealants - need advice...

mikey553February 17, 2008

I am planning to organize a machine shop and a workout area downstairs, however the radon level there is around 12. In the living area on the first floor it is around 5. I do not want to die before my time so I am trying to fix that.

After sealing the gap between the concrete slab and the block walls the level in the basement dropped to 6. The floor is bare but the walls are painted with Drylock and latex topcoat. I still have a few gaps to seal, but am afraid it will not bring me to my goal. Radon still can seep through the floor and the walls.

Since I am not too keen on the fan-based radon mitigation, I would like to try concrete sealants on the floor, and, possibly, on the walls. RadonSeal.com has many happy customer testimonials, but I wonder if company is telling the truth. This product is a silicate and it is not cheap. There are other similar products on the market like X-1 from Stone Technologies, CP-1007 from Chemical Products Industries and some others.

I would like to hear if any of you has used these products and what was the outcome. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike24

I used a product called radon seal. Sprayed the walls and floor. I have not tested it. I only did it to be safe. Check this web site. Its a spray on app.

Here is a link that might be useful: radonseal

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 1:31PM
alexander3_gw

I used radon seal on my basement floor and walls, followed by Drylok on the walls and a latex floor paint on the floor. This was in addition to sealing the gap around the slab. After all that the Radon reading went from about 6 to about 1. I didn't test at each step, so I can't say for sure how much each step helped.

The Radonseal web site is a bit overstated I think, but when I researched this, I couldn't find any complaints about the company. The product soaks right in to the concrete and leaves no visible residue on the surface. I also let some dry up in a jar to see what was left, and there was a clear crystalline residue (quite a bit compared to the amount of liquid I put in the jar), obviously the silicate compound. Given those two observations, it seems to me that the silicate must do something to clog up the pores in the concrete. In other words, the silicate goes into the concrete as a solution, and doesn't come out, so the crystals that form must be taking up pore space, but to what extent, I can't say.

I can confirm that it has no odor, and feels like water that has a little soap in it.

Alex

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 11:38PM
mikey553

Thank you, Alex and Mike. The only reason I am asking about alternatives to RadonSeal is that they are significantly cheaper.
CP-1007 is potassium silicate and X-1 is sodium silicate blends. RadonSeal does not provide any details, saying only that it is a silicate based sealer. Is there any difference in performance? Who knows...
Had anybody else used similar products in the past? What was the result?

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
Sponsored Products
Besa Lighting | Focus Two Light Bath Bar
$432.00 | YLighting
Maria Theresa Chrome Nineteen-Light 30-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Tea
Bellacor
Riveter Clock and Chalkboard
Grandin Road
Mora Leather Loveseat - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Solar Color Change Light Hummingbird Garden Stakes (Pack of 2)
Overstock.com
Besa 1SR-5121HN-SN Honey Kani Wall Sconce - 1SW-5121HN-SN-SQ
$202.50 | Hayneedle
George Kovacs Copper Bronze 17 1/2" Wide Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Batman Logo Cold Cup
$7.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™