framing a basement wall over vinyl floor tile

vicgrigFebruary 18, 2009

Can I secure the bottom plate of my basement wall frame over thin vinyl tile which is securely in place over the concrete floor(wall to wall)? My thinking is it will help give me a noisture barrier, and also help in cutting down the cold when I install padding and carpeting on top of it also. My main concern is will the vinyl (1/16" thick I believe) affect the powder activated nails going into the concrete floor and will it affect the construction adhesive at the bottom of the plate, or am I overthinking this? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Sounds like a couple basements I knew, including ours.

Won't bother the powder-activated nails, but the tiles continuing to stick are less certain. Probably be fine, but I'd score a line where the wall will go and test-scrape behind it to be sure. (If you test-scape without scoring, it'll end up being a project of scraping the entire floor (been there, done that) and you will find some tiles to come up much more easily than others (use a good, long floor scraper, if you go that route).

BTW, those tiles don't help in cutting down the cold at all. I'm curious how you're planning to heat. We installed baseboards (hot water on a separate zone from upstairs, which is radiator heat. It was a bit of a pain, but well worth it. (Tapping off furnace heat is supposedly easier, if you have one.)

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™