basement apartment

chips4000February 20, 2010

Previous owners converted a first floor - basement - to an apartment. It currently has 7 ft ceilings. We were thinking of removing the sheet rock and installing somekind of fireproof, insulation material between the rafters and the spray painting everything black to give it the illusion of highe ceilings. Does this kind of product exist?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

To create an illusion of greater height in a ceiling, you paint the ceiling lighter than the walls and extend that lighter paint down six inches from the wall ceiling intersection.

What is the point of the insulation? If it's to add some soundproofing, it's not much use even when it's above the drywall; without the drywall it's no use at all.

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 7:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

I regularly visit two basement units with 7 ceilings , one with finished ceiling while the other has everything exposed and painted white. They both seem low to me, but the exposed is much noisier (no soundproofing as you describe).

One other thing to consider are recessed lights. Sound travels through those things. That's one drawback to having installed them in our finished basement.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™