Laminate Flooring in Basement

patsfanFebruary 13, 2008

I am finishing a room in the basement where I want to put laminate flooring. On top of the concrete, I will put landscape fabric, then Delta-FL, then the underlayment, then the laminate flooring. Several flooring places have told me that WilsonArt "Estate" series laminate flooring is one of the best, so I planned on using it. I also had planned on using "QuietWalk" underlayment as it seemed like a good value beyond basic underlayment. It also seems like its moisture transmission properties are perfectly suited for a basement. However, I just learned that the WilsonArt warranty would not be honored if I don't use WilsonArt branded underlayment.

So, now I'm stuck. I don't know whether to go ahead with my plans, knowing the warranty would be voided. Or, go with a WilsonArt underlayment. The reason I didn't like the WilsonArt underlayment is they only have 2 options: cheap "2-in-1" or expensive "acoustic". I'm also not convinced that a standard "2-in-1" is a good choice over the Delta-FL (since there would be 2 vapor barriers with foam in between).

Can anyone provide any advice here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

An alternative to standard laminates is ICORE, which is made entirely with synthetics and will resist water better than fibreboard based products.

Here is a link that might be useful: ICORE

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 8:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diymostoftime

I bought and installed the Mannington Laminate flooring. Key reason - it is rated for below grade & it looks like real wood! It has beveled edges and embossed top. It is BEAUTIFUL. It was pretty easy to install. I went with Louisville Hickory (Revolutions Plank Collection).

Regrets - none yet. Hopefully I will never experience a flood.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™