will tuck tape stick

andrelaplume2February 11, 2009

I have a section between my wall and stair stringers where the best I can do is tapcon up pt 1 X 4s every 24 inches (on center) directly to the concrete wall and put DOW 1/2" blue board in between. I can then squeeze 3/8" drywall overtop. Should I tuck tape where the DOW XPS buts up against the pt 1 X 4s? Is that overkill? Will the tuct tape even stick to the wood? Some other tape? No tape at all?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Tuck tape or acoustical sealant. The tape will stick to wood.

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 5:53PM
andrelaplume2

Well I never did find the darn acoustical sealant...ended up using rubber type caulk on my sill.

Darn HD and Lowes do not carry tuck tape by me.

They have Gorilla tape...any good.

I'd prefer to use tape; quicker...was hoping to finish off this wall but maybe I'll need to order on line....

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 8:20PM
worthy

Use builder's tape. Besides Tuck brand, Tyvek and 3M make builder's tape. Any lumberyard should have it. It's not an exotic specialty item.

Gorilla Tape is duct tape--which, of course, should never be used on ducts either.

I'm very surprised that the Big Boxes in your area don't have these items. They're right at the Contractor's desk in the HDs near me.

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 9:40PM
sparkywannabe

Tyvek brand by me (Chicago area).

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 11:24PM
andrelaplume2

I will stop at the contractors desk in case the guy I spoke with was mistaken...but I also looked and did not see it, nor TyVek....just varying degrees of Duct tape and that foil duct tape.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:16AM
sparkywannabe

Check by the building materials / insulation. By me there is a Tyvek display with house wrap and tape. It is at the end of the insulation aisle.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 7:55AM
andrelaplume2

This is rediculous. I had the gy at Lowes tell there was no such thing this morning and to use Duct Tape. The closest thing thay had was house wrap tape ...I think it mentioned for sheathing.

I stopped at the lumber yard...all the lumber is gone...I think they are out of business!

I will try HD one more time and then order it off the net....anyone know a good online shop that has tapcons and tape?

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 9:07AM
andrelaplume2

Found: Tyvek tape in the back of the HD store by house wrap. Its s 55 yd roll for $11. Hope this is the stuff because it does not look like a big roll; ie the tape must be thin...

If this is not the stuff I think I will just spray foam lightly where the XPS abuts the fur strip...whcih, looking back might have been easier anyway!

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 1:42PM
worthy

You got it!

I had the gy at Lowes tell there was no such thing this morning and to use Duct Tape

This guy?

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 7:08PM
andrelaplume2

that guy appears to have far more wisdom than the 'lumber' guy the stock girl called to answer my question!

...now so long as those 'Titen' tapcons are as good as the regular ones (that for some bizzare reason are no longer stocked in the size I need...then I am ready to frame when they arrive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PCS-1-4-x3-1-4-FH-Concrete-Masonry-Tapcon-Screws_W0QQitemZ180302184300QQcmdZViewItemQQptZNails_Screws_Fasteners?hash=item180302184300&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 7:19PM
sparkywannabe

I have never ordered anything from this company but they seem to carry all sizes of Tapcon screws. I found this site when I was looking for the available sizes of Tapcons.
http://www.confast.com/products/tapcon-concretescrew.aspx

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™