basement egress issue

andrelaplume2February 11, 2009

We have a bilko door in our basement. I want to wall in a 12 X 12 room around this door, my workroom. I will put either a 3' door or 4' bifold doors leading from this room to the finished portion of the basement. There wouldn't be any code issues with that would there? In other words, to get out of the basement through the bilko one would have to first pass through another door.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Interesting question. As the linked discussion below says, the answer isn't clear. Perhaps an inspector would say the finished area needs its own egress.

There are no basement egress requirements here, so I haven't had to deal with this issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egress Solutions for Basement Living Space

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 9:23PM
andrelaplume2

Well, I guess in theory if left a 4 ' wide opening from finished space to unfinished that might satisfy the code...another reason removable bifolds may be the way to go...

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:33AM
mike_kaiser_gw

This sounds like a gray area that might be subject to interpretation by the AHJ. A quick call to your local building department might save some headaches down the road.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 7:28AM
sparkywannabe

Not sure if this helps, but the link below is a snapshot from the requirements in my area.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 9:22AM
andrelaplume2

bottom line we have a 36" steel door exiting up 6 steps to a bilko door.Essentially I want to enclose this door in its own room. 4' Bifolds will separate this room from the main area....I would think this has to be up to code...ifnot I could remove the bifolds....?

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 11:34AM
nanasaidso

In most areas I've lived, the code requirements for basement egress are based on use of space. Direct egress is required only from rooms in which people will be sleeping.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 6:04PM
sue36

It wouldn't be an issue in my town as long as the room could not be used as a bedroom (no closet allowed).

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™