Flooring in basement

howmuchlongerFebruary 26, 2009

Please tell me what you have used for flooring in your basement.

DH wants to put linoleum down. I would rather it be tiled, but he does not want to tile, b/c that would be alot of tiling.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyfree

It all depends on what you want to do with the basement, what you will be using it for.
If you want a cozy, family room kind of environment, with warm floors, I's suggest you look into flooring options specifically designed for basements like interlocking basement carpet or vinyl tiles. These products give you thermal and moisture protection as the finished or carpeted surface is raised from the slab as to allow it to breath and the moisture to evaporate.
They are 100% inorganic and will not grow mold or spoil.
If moisture or clod floors are not a concern, a good alternative to tile, could be stained concrete. They make the most beautiful designs nowadays.
I would not recommend the linoleum because almost every below grade basement has some degree of moisture seeping through the slab, if not year round, during the rainy season.
Linoleum will only trap the moisture underneath, and depending on what you use to install it, some adhesives might develop mold problems or peel off overtime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Flooring Options

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™