Shaking Apartment

rzimmerman30June 27, 2010

A couple months ago I moved into a new apartment building. It really is an amazing apartment and incredibly cheap for how nice it is. However, about the 4th day living here, I noticed the floor would vibrate. It started doing it for five minutes every fifteen minutes. It usually only does it Monday - Friday, but right now Sunday morning at 8:30 am, its been shaking for over 30 minutes straight. The best way I can describe it, is if you were to be sitting in one of thoes messaging chairs that vibrates, thats how it feels when you are sitting down becuase the floor is vibrating. I've tried locating the source of the vibrations, but I can not. The shaking can be felt all the way across my apartment. I am pretty sure it is coming from below, where there is a commerical building, but the ceilings are 12 feet high so I can't really tell if it is coming from above. The shaking is mild - you can watch water in a cup vibrate. Everyone once in a while after work, my pictures will be crooked on the wall. Maintanence came and they said they don't know what it is. My landlord said they will not move me into a new unit, and I can not afford to come up with money to move into a new apartment and moving fees, if anyone can please offer any advice it would be incredibly greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larke

Someone is doing work somewhere and it's shaking your bldg. I think (if you want) you'd have a good case for going to your municipal board (whatever it's called there) and getting someone in (at the relevant times) to agree that it happens and could be dangerous ... e.g. you should not be expected to live there and should get your money back, or at least be allowed to break your lease and be compensated for moving. Obviously I'm just going on here (don't know where you live or what the laws are), but there are some things that one cannot be expected to put up with any more than rats, or lack of heating, etc.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
fyi-spammer attack on gardenweb-don't click!
The spammers are out in full force today. Do not click...
dreamgarden
Stinky perfumey air freshener neighbors
This seems to be the forum for neighbor problems -...
kashka_kat
Bathroom decorating ideas
Hi! I just moved in to an older style apartment building,...
Apart-ster
Garage apartment floor plan review
We are building a house at the beach (Seagrove Beach,...
cobbyw
Apartment vs Individual home
Which one do all people likes to stay in an Apartment...
kushy28
Sponsored Products
Schonbek Da Vinci Collection 10" LED Crystal Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Jofran 536-3 Barrington Cherry End Table
Beyond Stores
Blazing Needles All Weather Outdoor Porch Swing Cushion - 42.5L x 19.5W in. - 93
$40.14 | Hayneedle
Zuo Nob Hill Charcoal Gray Loveseat
Euro Style Lighting
Rhythm Royal 16 x 16-Inch Throw Pillow
$48.40 | Bellacor
Ball & Claw Tool Set - Burnished Black
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™