Help ID these carved face chairs

redbyyrdFebruary 7, 2012

These are matching one is a rocker the other has straight legs. The wood looks to me to be oak. My wife has had these for quite awhile and is interested in the history on them. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redbyyrd

Close up of carved face

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 10:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

I can't see the detail of the back well enough, but it appears to have been cut/carved from a single board. That's unusual. That would have been a big board. The carved work is notable. The arms have an unusual shape and seem to hve been made from one piece. If the arms and back were made from single pieces of wood, there was a lot of waste wood. This would not have been a design for large scale production. Could it have been a school shop project, an apprentice graduating piece, or a one of a kind by a craftsman.

It appears it is a rocking chair. The legs are not braced very much. In front, there is no bracing in the left-to-right direction, and bracing in the plane of the rockers is minumal. The seat must be thick with the legs firmly embeded in it. A 300 lb person could wreck this chair.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 4:49AM
More Discussions
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
Dones
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™