Japanese? Chinese? Korean?

suvothFebruary 15, 2011

Can anyone help decipher these codes? There is another red mark but I have no idea what it really looks like as it is so tiny. I've drawn the first two. It's on a large Celadon vase. Thanks!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Your link doesn't work unless you are a member of Image shack.
A picture of the vase and the mark would help.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:27PM
suvoth

I dont' have a good picture of the vase, here's the link directly, let's hope this works

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:46PM
lindac

I suggest you find the link to discussions one ht site below and ask your question there....but you should be prepared with a good picture of your vase. There will be questions about the shape any decoration, what the bottom looks like etc.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Gothenborg

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 9:01AM
camlan

Those marks don't look like Japanese or Chinese characters or the Korean alphabet. I think Lindac is correct--you will have to find a site where there are people who are very familiar with Chinese/Japanese/Korean pottery who might know those marks or how to interpret them. Pictures of the vase will most likely be necessary, as well, so that people can see the style of the vase, the color and the glaze.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 2:03PM
suvoth

Thought I'd post the pics of the vase finally in case anyone knew. :)

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 1:21PM
lindac

The red mark is a chop mark...likely Chinese and that's your clue. Get a better camera to take a better picture of that red mark.
Perhaps it's not so old, made in shanghai....

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 2:22PM
suvoth

Those pics were taken with a macro lense. It's the best I can do. Perhaps playing around with different colors might make it stand out more (the red mark) but other than that, there's no help for it unfortunately. Just worn out too much to really make out :(

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 7:41PM
lemon-skunk_hotmail_com

hi,im trying to find out some info about these items, they were passed on to me from my grandfather a few years ago and i would realy love to know what age and origin they are...thanks in advance

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of my items! brown pottery

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 2:29PM
Mikk

They are actually Japanese or Chinese characters. They mean "correct" (as in morally right or proper) "forest/woods"

The hanko/chop mark isn't legible. They both use the same characters, but the two character combination doesn't "read" as a word in Japanese, so I would say it's Chinese.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 10:30PM
azmom

The writings are both Chinese and Japanese. It is a Japanese trademark.

Multiple-character combinations do represent "one" word in Japanese. Try google "write Woods in Japanese", "write Forest in Japanese", or "write bright in Japanese"..etc.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 8:30AM
Mikk

Uh... not exactly. Some characters "stand alone", and some characters are always combined to form a single word... in Japanese that is. It's also true that a single character may have several different pronunciations depending on how they are used in conjunction with other characters. Ie., the first character could be read as "sei", "shou", "tada" (as in tadashii), or "masa". The second character can be read as "shin" or "mori".

Following the rules of grammar, there is no combination of these two characters, separate or together that form an actual word or phrase in Japanese.

To take it a step further, I did a quick search for 正森 and all results returned where in Chinese. The meaning of the characters is the same in either language, but I think it is safe to say that you have a Chinese piece there. :-)

Using a Chinese dictionary, 正森 reads in Chinese as "Zhengsen". You might find additional information by searching for zhengsen ceramics online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search for 正森

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 11:55AM
Mikk

Sorry... I guess this forum doesn't support kanji/characters, and my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet. lol

That should have read "Zhenglin", not "-sen". "rin" or "hayashi", not "shin" or "mori" on the second character. The difference? One less "tree" on top. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Radio /turntable
Hi, I was given this radio/turntable and wish to know...
koolkat62
Vintage oil painting
I need help with name on oil painting, I think it's...
Dones
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Surya Rugs Smithsonian Burnt Sienna 2
$78.97 | Home Depot
Kartell | Trays
YLiving.com
Safavieh Martha Stewart Wool 1300&2300 MSR3625A 4' x 6' Blue Rug
$264.00 | PlushRugs
Hydro Systems Fuji 4040 Tub
Modern Bathroom
Martha Stewart Living™ Chrysanthemum Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection