Please help me identify anitique?

dogbreath47February 19, 2013

I found this buried in my woodshed floor, house dates from 1837.Small village near Peterborough Ontario.
Have been told by locals that it may be something that hung on the side of a wood stove to keep tea kettle warm? Or a step to a horse carriage?
It is 3" x 2 1/2 " across the face, which bears a "Stag" (Deer) has a 3" arm, with a 3/4 " hook. It has a "T" in the metal on the bottom, appears to be made of cast iron.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Makes a great conversation paperweight on my office desk. ( I have further photos that can be emailed)

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dogbreath47

Photo

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:06PM
dogbreath47

photo

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:08PM
dogbreath47

photo

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:09PM
jemdandy

It could have been a step, but I doubt it was for a carriage. Carriages have light weight constuction and carriage steps are designed to attach to lightweight carriage boxes. Usually, a carriage step hangs straight down.

Your piece may have been a support attached to a stove. It could have helped support a hot ash box as it was withdrawn from the stove. It could be removed until needed again.

Everything is guesswork. Guesses become more accurate when it is known what equipment this was used on. For example, it could have been on a light wagon or run-about.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:14AM
lazy_gardens

It's too small to be a step, and too small to set a kettle on, about the right size for a pedal.

If I had to guess, it's a lever that would be stepped on or pushed to make something open, perhaps a firebox or a stove lid. Or maybe it was the pedal to control something on and off.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 10:19PM
jemdandy

Wild guess:

Could it have been a pedal for opening the fire box door on a steam engine?

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 10:32PM
chiefdembe

Have you tried contacting a collectables exchange or antique shop online, u can email them and they can tell you the exact details including how much you can sell the antique

Here is a link that might be useful: Anchor Coins

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:37AM
More Discussions
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™