Basement egress

cocoonerFebruary 13, 2006

How interesting that there is now a forum just for basements. I just wanted to advise folks to consider the issue of basement egress when remodeling if they currently do not have outside access. There are codes that regulate this (do a search for basement egress international code) and you'll see the regulations that most places follow. The idea is for safety, that a person could get out, and a firefighter in, during an emergency without having to use the stairs.

cocooner

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pattyt

good point!

my Dh wants to put a garage door out of our basement - lol
no it will not be used for a garage space at all - we just made the space large enough for it - easier to move 'stuff' in and out and my DH is rather weird...

Bookmark   February 14, 2006 at 8:50PM
formulaross

Ouch! That hurts! I just did the same thing, put a stairway from the basement out to the garage. The main reason is because my 'winter workshop' will be in the basement and the garage stairway will save the house stairway the wear and tear and DIRT that I seem to alway track in now!

Regarding egress, basements here require egress windows to the outside for bedrooms only. I have seen many spec homes built with huge basements but no egress windows for future bedrooms after someone moves in and finishes the basements. All in the name of saving a few dollars up front, I suppose.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 12:42PM
Seamer1

We are planning on doing just this very thing in the house we just bought. Can anyone tell me if there has to be a window in every bedroom, or at least one window for the whole basement. We plan on putting two bedrooms down there. We are in indiana
Thank you

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 3:11PM
logic

Each town within each state can have its own specific code. Best bet is to call the town and ask their requirements, since it is not one size fits all.

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™