Radon testing a basement

loki791February 28, 2009

Hi, I recently got a newsletter from the Environmental Protection Agency saying that last month was National Radon Month and that my home should be tested for radon. Apparently, it is recommended that you fix the home if the radon level is 4 picoCuries per liter (pCi/L) or higher. Can the radon be effectively and accurately tested with a take-home radon testing kit? These take home kits are cheap -- as low as $10, but I am a little skeptical of their accuracy. My instinct is to hire a professional home inspector to do the testing. Has anyone tried a home kit or a professional -- which one should I go with? How much would a professional charge? I guess I could also get him to inspect some other things while he's there. Oh, and has anyone found any radon being emitted from granite kitchen countertop? I heard that these could also have radon. Thanks very much for any recommendations.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadow700

These take home kits are cheap -- as low as $10, but I am a little skeptical of their accuracy.

Why?

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 7:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvetfoot

I have two electronic detectors. We had one on the first floor and the other in the basement. You can see how it changes over time and the two locations. I can really see the effect of the radon fan when I turned it off the other day. It went from 1 to 7 in the basement pretty quick. The first floor was always pretty low so we don't use it anymore. This is like the ones we got: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siren-Series3-Radon-Detector/dp/B000CEAY64

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™