Beaver system or SquidGee

pawolfFebruary 12, 2009

I need to do something about a basement water problem. It appears I have seepage. My basement is cement block walls. There is already a Beaver-type system in another area of the basement that seems to do the job -- the new seepage is in a different corner.

Going at it from the outside is not my first choice. Next to one wall of the corner (outside) is a cement sidewalk that is sloped away from the house. The other wall is a covered porch (cement slab), also sloped away from the house. But still the water is getting in.

The part of these two systems that somewhat bothers me is water in the block cores can sit up to the level of the weep holes I plan to drill. I was thinking of pumping something like 'sand mix' or 'self leveling' concrete into the cores through the weep holes up to the bottom of the weep hole to keep water from collecting and sitting until it drains away. Does this make sense, or would doing so lead to other issues? Thanks.

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Those fillers in the block cavities will not necessarily seal perfectly. Basically that are three ways to keep water from hindering the use of basement space. The first, and best, is move outside water away from the outside of the basement walls before it penetrates. The second is to seal the walls outside so that the basement becomes a pan sitting down in a pond of water- difficult to do, and often failing within short period of time. The third is to carry away water when-and-as it penetrates the wall. The interior drain systems do this. My Superior Walls foundation system uses that first approach. But a dehumidifier is still necessary to control interior atmospheric moisture.

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
Sponsored Products
Oregon State Beavers Stepping Stone
$18.99 | zulily
King Faux-Beaver Coverlet 54" x 102"
$625.00 | Horchow
Queen Faux-Beaver Coverlet 54" x 88"
$550.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Faux White Beaver White 20-inch Square Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Rustic Furniture Creations - Beaver Creek Log Bed
Great Furniture Deal
Skinneez Beaver Dog Toy - 687756
$11.99 | Hayneedle
Framed Aerial College Stadium Images - Beaver Stadium (Penn State)
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Thumbprintz Beaver Pond Buck Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™