Selling Haviland and Cambrige Sets.

jon1February 23, 2011

I have a 88 piece set of Haviland Gentiane pattern. Its the whole works 12 place settings. I also have a 20 piece set of Cambridge Rosepoint glassware. I inheridet these and several other sets. What way do you think I should sell it to get the most money for it. Both sets are in link new condition. I really dont want to sell it one piece at a time as it would require A LOT of boxes and take a long time.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

You would get the most money selling it a piece at a time. I know....it's a pain.
The china isn't worth so much that you couldn't sell it as a set. maybe $600 to $800 for all
But the rose point....hoo boy!! Big bucks! may be hard to sell right now, but you ought to have $50 per stem.....and that's a good deal for the buyer!

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 9:22PM
jon1

Thanks,
What way do you think I should sell it? Just list each piece on E-bay as a "Buy it now price"
Is there really demand for this stuff?

It would require a lot of boxes if I sold it individually.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 9:26PM
lindac

Ack....I just looked on ebay.....and they are doing a "buy it now" for $20 a stem and less.
Apparantly now is not the time to sell!!
If you can hang on to them, I have no doubt taht they will again be selling for the price that good crystal should bring.
The post office gives free flat rate priority shipping boxes.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 11:45PM
jon1

Thanks,

I was thinking of listing the whole set of 88 Haviland as one lot. Then list it as a "buy it now or best offer". Maybe list if for $1100-1200. I know I might not get that much but its open to negiotion.
Do you think there are people out there that would buy a large set of china??
I know I would not make quite as much money as if I were to sell it piece by piece, but its not pratical for me to sell it that way. I would need a LOT of boxes too. i would sell the Cambridge the same way.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 7:34AM
gracie01

It doesn't matter if you piece it out or not -- you're still going to need a lot of boxes to sell something that fragile. Oh, and a lot of bubble wrap. You can get free boxes from the post office. Or you could sell it on ebay as "local pickup only". Or try Craigs list.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 8:35AM
jon1

I can ship it in one large box and its much more efficient than smaller ones. Are the Priority Mail Boxes large enough to hold a dinner plate or vegatable plate?
Selling it on craigs list would not get the right buyer. As its a very small market for this set.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 9:15AM
lindac

I'm sure you know that the haviland is "newer"? Perhaps 1970 or newer.
Have you a consignment auction house near where you are....I think that would be the best way to go and leave it up to the auctioneer as to how he sells it.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 10:17AM
jon1

Yes I think it was after 1970, but im not sure. I wanst even born then, I inhareted this set. I have looked at an auction house. But around here they dont sell to the right market,as they dont advertise so everything goes for pennys. Its more like a garage sale stuff.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 10:35AM
Ideefixe

Replacements won't give you a ton of $$ but they're easy to deal with if you just want it to go away.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 11:01AM
cate52

I wonder if you wouldn't be well off to advertise in a some sort of china collecters publication or at least contact some dealers.. get some sort of references &then find out if they would want to 'come pick it up' if you are not in a real hurry to sell.. I would think it will cost a fortune to pack & mail

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™