clogged french drains??
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this situation:
We have lived in our 1954 house for 5 years. In the early 1990s the previous owner had a well known basement waterproofing company install a sump pump and french drains around the perimeter of the 1400 squ. ft. basement. It has rigid plastic sheeting around the perimeter that extends up 2 ft from the concrete floor.
The first year after we moved in , my husband drylocked the cement blocks. The basement is not finished.
The first 3 years we had no water issues, even through Hurricane Isabel! In the last year and a half we noticed creeping mildew and bought a de-humidifier. The problem has gotten continually worse until this fall we had an actual leak in a portion of the front wall. The original company came out, installed a larger piece of sheeting and called it fixed. In the meantime we have had water 2 more times, including last week when it came from another section of that same wall. I called a 2nd company that was well recommended and they said:
You need a 2nd sump pump for your squ.footage, and the original company used pvc piping for drainage and they are most likely clogged with silt and clay soil.
If anyone has any experience with a failure of a waterproofing system, please enlighten me! At this point we would like to tear it up and start over although the cost isn't pretty! Thanks!!