Old recessed lighting - replacement

chester_grantFebruary 2, 2009

The lighting in my converted basement consistes of old square recessed lights about 12 inches square (the ceiling joists appear to be a bit more than 7 ins deep plus the horizontal ceiling drywall width). I have been unable to find replacements.

Plan "A" (the cheapest?) is to replicate these lights in some way. Any ideas on how to get recessed square lights?

If I cant get these and I have to go to plan "B" with recessed can lights. As they wouldnt individually produce the same light as they only illiminate downwards I would have to install additional lights. If I put in a "can" light in the old large square hole would need to redo the ceiling before or after the can installation - I understand the standard drill is to cut a hole in an existing ceing......Maybe the cheapest thing would be to just plug and refinish the square holes and put in canned lighting in other locations...Additional point - if I used the halogen type of lights this would mean I wouldnt have to rewire or instal a new larger panel.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

I just googled up recessed flourescent fixtures in the 12"x12" size. Try a commercial electrical company rather than the usual retail lighting store. Sure a lot easier than patching and rewiring.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™