finished wall matirial in basement

marliemFebruary 7, 2006

We have our walls studed and insulated in our basement. We are lookin for an alternative to drywall because of moisture. My fiance wants to use T-1-11, I feel like it looks tacky to have that on the wall even if you paint it. I am affraid of the resale value if we do use it. Does anyone have any suggestions for other good matirials to use that look decent?

marlie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chitown_hoosier

You say you are afraid of moisture and drywall?What type of insulation did you install?I would look there first.

Bookmark   February 11, 2006 at 9:21AM
datadiva

There's a new interior wall product by Georgia pacific that is essentially drywall without the paper. The claim is that moisture (mold) travels along the paper of the drywall. This product is designed for basements and baths.

I'm planning to replace the bottom 4' of my drywall with this product.

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pname=DensArmor%c2%ae+Plus+Interior+Wallboard&pid=4659&hierarchy=pc

Bookmark   February 11, 2006 at 6:28PM
chitown_hoosier

datadiva-You say you are replacing the bottom 4'?I am wondering why 4'?Point I am trying to convey here is you should look behind the drywall for moisture issues.If you have moisture present there a product that discourages mold really is not going to help you,it just traps moisture.

Bookmark   February 11, 2006 at 9:53PM
datadiva

The little bit we did have was on the bottom few inches in a corner we didn't easily see.

The contractors ripped off the bottom foot or so and checked the insulation behind it for us (This is not what we were hiring them for) and we had cought it before it got that far.
They have ripped out the bottom two feet for me but at the time we thought the sheets were in 4' dimensions.

We got the carpeting removed, and we're waiting to make sure the landscaping fix holds before we re-do the floors and walls.

Bookmark   February 11, 2006 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Sponsored Products
Monarch Specialties Charcoal Grey Bonded Leather Swivel Rocker Recliner I 8082GY
Beyond Stores
Trilogy Triangle 3 pc. Pub Table Set Multicolor - FDI060
Hayneedle
Solo 3-Sided Pendant by Trend Lighting
$200.00 | Lumens
Distratto Pendant by Trend Lighting
$120.00 | Lumens
Fanimation MultiMax 52 In. Indoor Ceiling Fan - FP8008CH
$419.95 | Hayneedle
Geologic Pendant by ELK Lighting
$178.00 | Lumens
Suncast 225 ft. Slide Trak Wall Mount Hose Reel - TWM2000