Wall/Floor joint in basement

chpwamanFebruary 27, 2008

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to finish my basement, my plans are to put up XPS and a 2x4 stud wall with drywall. Before I do this, I wondered if I needed to do anything with the space where the floor and poured wall meet? I can't seem to find any definitive answer. I have no water problems and only have a few hairline cracks in the wall, with no evidence of water since the house was built 2 years ago. I thought about just putting some drylock on the areas with the cracks, but am mostly wondering about the wall/floor joint. Do I just leave it as is and proceed with my plans or do I need to seal this up with something...if so, what? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

A crystalline grout can be used at the cold joint. But if you have a dimpled membrane or similar waterproofing system on the exterior, and there are no special conditions or evidence of water seepage, it's likely overkill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystalline Grout

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 12:07PM
alexander3_gw

You can also use a self leveling polyurethane caulk. You would need to stuff a foam backer rod into the gap first, since the caulk is runny enough that it will just flow down to the bottom otherwise

Alex

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 11:41PM
homebound

I think he may be talking about the rim joist area. Chpwaman, do you mean the space above the wall (all around the perimeter of the basement)? If so, any/all air gaps first get sealed with caulk or foam, then add insulation.

Getting a professional to spray foam up there is a good way to go. Sometimes folks put fiberglass insulation there, but I've heard that fiberglass can retain moisture (not a good thing for that area), so foam is better. (I used solid foam pieces for our basement, cut to fit, then sealed edges with spray foam - trouble with that is that you have to hold those spray cans upside-down, and it's very difficult in that area (no room to maneuver the cans).

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 9:45PM
chpwaman

No...I was asking about the cold joint as worthy called it...the area where the basement floor and basement walls meet. There is a small gap all the way around the basement.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™