Getting a month-to-month lease - difficult?

rivkadrMay 24, 2005

My husband and I are moving soon, due to switching to different jobs. We are hoping to buy a house once we move, but we expect it will take at least a few months for that to happen. I don't want to get locked into a long-term lease that we're almost definitely going to have to break either by the end of summer or in the fall, so I'm wondering what our options are? Is it likely that an apartment complex will give someone a month-to-month lease if they're a new renter? I've never seen a lease for less than 6 months in the area that we're moving to, and even that is likely to be too long. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
over_n_under

It probably depends on the availability of apartments in the area. If the market is tight and there is not much to choose from, it will be difficult. But if there is a glut of available apartments, they (the landlords) should be easily approachable to a shorter time-period. It is better to earn something than nothing.

You know, 6 months is not all that long. By the time you move, get settled in, start learning the area to determine where you really want to live, find the right house, and then finally close, 6 months might not seem so long. The trick will be to keep from getting pulled into another 6 month lease if the whole process ends up taking 7 or 8 months.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 8:27AM
lazy_gardens

Smaller complexes are more willing to negotiate. Be honest, tell them you are looking for a house and want to be able to move out after closing.

I have written 1-year leases that had a clause that allowed the tenants to end the lease and move out ONLY if they showed me the closing papers on their new house.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 9:14AM
jazzie

We have signed 4 month leases for people who are very transient. But on a shorter lease, the deposit is absolutely non refundable.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 4:17PM
Ripper330

Most properties will do a month to month. The cost is substantially higher. I agree with doing a six month lease and then let it expire and it automatically rolls to a month to month price. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 2:56PM
kudzu9

Look for someone who wants to sublet for a few months. One resource is:

Craigslist

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 3:08AM
kudzu9

Well, the link I posted doesn't seem to work. Maybe a GardenWeb blocking policy. What you want to try is:
www.craigslist.com

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 3:11AM
lazypup

It may also depend upon local regulations. In Florida a rental or lease for a period of less than 6 months is considered a temporary domicile and the landlord is required to pay an additional bed tax therefore most landlords insist on signing a lease of 7 months or more.

On the other hand, if you are honest with the landlord going in, many may be willing to sign a longer lease with an agreement that they will release you early with a 30 day notice.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 10:45AM
mrsmarv

I would find a contact in your new area, either a relocation service or through a local realtor, who will be able to give you a list of places that offer short term rentals.

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 8:52AM
BigMac

My husband needed to rent an apartment in Georgia recently (this week). He asked about short leases. The apartment manager told him he could sign a 3 month lease and pay $50 extra a month or a six month lease at the original price, with an option to terminate the lease after 3 mos. Guess which one he chose, and all because he asked?

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 11:00PM
kitchenlover

I'm doing a month-to-month now, which was stupid on my part. I've lived at my complex for five years and thought I'd be ready to move into a house this year so last August when my lease was up I signed on month-to-month. Needless to say I didn't move and have paid $50 more per month with this lease. My lease is up again next month and I'm just signing for the full year. If I need to get out early I'll beg and plead. I've been a good tenant (rent late by just a day once) and they have no reason to not let me out.

I think most places would be willing to do it, new renter or not, because there's so much vacancy right now due to low or zero down mortgages.

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 3:04PM
jessicargott_yahoo_com

me and my financee are about to move to south carolina and we need a place to stay before we go. we have two kids and a dog. we are looking for just a two bedroom that is affordable. we would like to pay for three months is advance. we are opened to anything in kansas city or in kansas city, mo.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Finding apartment in Cary NC?
Hi, I am a single mom of two moving into Cary NC area...
aaaaaaaa
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Moth problem..Help please.....
Allright I have had a moth problem for about 5 maybe...
lucidmike
Feeling Harassed by Downstairs Neighbors
My boyfriend and I moved into an older apartment complex...
storybrook
Lawn Mowers/Leaf Blowers
I rent the top floor of a two-family home in a nice...
lynwell42
Sponsored Products
Burnt Orange 100% Wool 3'x10' Hand Knotted Peshawar Oriental Rug Runner Sh18017
1800 Get A Rug
Designers Fountain 6601 Piazza Wall Sconce - 6601-ORB
$31.50 | Hayneedle
Turquoise Plushy Jellyfish Vibrating Pillow
$29.99 | zulily
Naturally Cooling Ceramic Ice Bucket and Tongs by Magisso
$90.00 | Lumens
Varaluz | Wright Stuff Wall Sconce
$249.00 | YLighting