Old Tool - What is it?

sweebyFebruary 2, 2011

My brother-in-law found this cool antique tool while cleaning out a shed. Anyone know what it is?

To me, it looks like some type of gardening implement, but that's just a guess...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My guess would be it's for aerating a lawn that's got all thatchy, but that's just a guess.

    Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 8:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Good guess -- But I don't think the 'teeth' on the vertical gears are long enough to do much good. Plus, they're squared off on the ends. Also, why would there be more-complicated gears on the top (why anything?) if it were the vertical pieces on the bottom that did the work?

I was thinking something along the lines of a sod lifter-cutter? Maybe something to remove a layer of turf grass with a certain amount of root?

Not that I know diddly about gardening...

    Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 10:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You've got yourself an old Montamower. They were particulary loved by greenskeepers. It's a style of old push lawn mower. Produced from the early part of the 1900s. I'm a tool nerd and a professional gardener. Trust me on this one. LOL.

    Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 12:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You rock Calliope! That's exactly what it is ;-)

    Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 9:20AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™