Old Basement - Can I Paint?

beth0301February 11, 2010

We have a 120 house, the basement is rock/stone that has been had concrete "smoothed over" in many places. I'm sorry, I don't know more technical description of this.

We do not have any water problems at all (thank goodness).

I am putting my laundry in the basement and have a couple of questions.

1. It is so dark down there and even though I have lights installed, I was wondering if I can paint the walls white to make it brighter. Since I don't know anything about this kind of basement construction, I want to make sure I don't accidentally create a problem by sealing the walls with paint (do they need to breathe? Will sealing them create any condensation or other moisture problems?)

2. Snakes - I've never seen one but I'm deathly afraid. Is there a way to fill in any cracks/places I can see daylight with that expanding foam or something similar as a precaution? Other way to let them know they aren't welcome?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_mce

>stone that has been had concrete "smoothed over" in many >places. I'm sorry, I don't know more technical description >of this.

"Parging"

>It is so dark down there and even though I have lights >installed, I was wondering if I can paint the walls white >to make it brighter.

Sure.

>know anything about this kind of basement >construction, I >want to make sure I don't accidentally >create a problem >by sealing the walls with paint (do they >need to breathe?

No.

>Snakes - I've never seen one but I'm deathly afraid. Is >there a way to fill in any cracks/places I can see >daylight with that expanding foam or something similar as >a precaution?

Fill all gaps with cement or foam. Then forget about it. Or get a cat, let the cat visit the basement.

>Other way to let them know they aren't welcome?

Those circle and slash signs, but you have to mount 'em really low.

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 3:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beth0301

I like the cat idea .... unless it's a really big snake or a really small cat, then we might have a problem.

Thanks, I know this may have sounded like a stupid question but I figured better to ask and sound stupid than create some kind of moisture problem and feel really stupid later.

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™