New Landlord wants a year lease

shokabokaMay 24, 2005

I just finished my one year lease with my landlord and was looking forward to renting month-to-month. He sold the house and the new landlord wants a new lease. She was a bit ellusive saying it was only to spell out rent, etc. When I asked if it would impose a term, she said no, but added if it did, she would prefer year-to-year and not month-to-month. Sounds a bit sneaky to me. What are my rights, if any, in keeping my month-to-month renting? Can I refuse to sign a lease I don't agree to? If I do refuse, can the landlord evict me? Will I have to sign up for another year if that's what the landlord wants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

"Can I refuse to sign a lease I don't agree to?"
YES ... but then you have no lease, and no agreement with the new owner. You will have to move out.

"If I do refuse, can the landlord evict me? "
YES ... and they can get a hefty penalty from the tenant in most states for having to use the courts to enforce what is a CONTRACT you signed (new owner takes over the leases, is legally bound to comply with them, but is not obligated to retain tenants beyond the end of the leases she bought).

"Will I have to sign up for another year if that's what the landlord wants?"
If the only terms the OWNER of the property is willing to offer is a year's lease, you have to sign or move out.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 9:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

she would prefer year-to-year and not month-to-month. Sounds a bit sneaky to me.

Why is this sneaky? She's got a new property, and would like to know that she doesn't have to run around trying to fill the vacancy in a month or two. That seems reasonable to me.

Month-to-month is sort of risky for a landlord. I think it's a generosity when a landlord is willing to do this--and I notice that most of them are willing to do it for tenants who have already gone through a year's worth of tenancy with them.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
3 mentally ill roommates and a baby, what to do?
I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with 2 other...
valiumplz
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Apartment vs Individual home
Which one do all people likes to stay in an Apartment...
kushy28
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Lawn Mowers/Leaf Blowers
I rent the top floor of a two-family home in a nice...
lynwell42
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™